Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 08-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Steel

Send a message via Skype™ to bloomerj
Default By way of introduction...

I would like to take a moment to introduce myself to this community which I have found to be invaluable in be efforts to enter into the art of engraving. I've been intrigued and impressed with engraving since I can remember, and I've been building up to taking the plunge. I've read Meeks and Hartliep, and spent countless hours combing through this forum as well as others.
I am looking forward to learning more as I go on, and hopefully I will be able to contribute to this community in some meaningful way.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:16 AM
Gold

Default Re: By way of introduction...

Welcome bloomerj!
Lots of learnin going on here!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Platinum

bloomerj,

You are in the right place to learn. You have a great advantage over many who come here to learn engraving and that is your age. You are old enough to be a good learner but young enough to have the years ahead of you to master the art and take it to any level your degree of dedication will provide.

May I suggest a good beginning is to learn the terms and jargon that we use in the trade. To do this click on the web link under my signature or click on the word Glossary in red at the top of this page. Once in the glossary you will find over 400 pictures that go with the definitions.

Good luck,

CRB
Old 08-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Steel

Send a message via Skype™ to bloomerj

Roger, I have read through the glossary and appreciate the pointer there. I've also been reading through several posts and finding that perhaps I've been ambitious in my expectations of hand pushed cuts. So, I'm resolved to practice what were called "fine cut scrolls" until I can get consistent with those.

In the meantime, I've been tried a couple practice plates, one was the practice plate from "Let's cut a plate together" the other is a face "grotesque" that I've liked for some time. I tried to keep with the "If you can't draw it don't cut it" mantra so I redrew both with an Iwata .1 marking pen. Here are some before and afters.

I welcome, even solicit any pointers, feedback or guidance.

FLAME ON; I have pretty thick skin, so don't worry about hurting my feelings. I know there are several slips (I'm still working those out) and the shading is horrible. I have a really hard time seeing and discerning the shading. I'm using a #5 optivisor and I feel like it's not enough for shading... any pointers on that would be MOST appreciated.

Thanks again for looking and thanks in advance for any pointers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8230036.JPG (56.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg P8230040.JPG (64.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg P8260043.JPG (73.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg P8260049.JPG (81.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg P8260046.JPG (77.1 KB, 17 views)