Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Gold

Default Hello from New Mexico!

My name is Gene, I have been doing jewelry work many years as a hobby and and at one time I did it full time. Approx. 7 years ago I became interested in knifemaking and that led to an interest in engraving as well. I made a few knives that were what I now would classify as mediocre quality....very time consuming. I thought if I purchased a gravermeister I could easily learn to engrave my knives. Well as you know, the learning curve was not so easy, especially on my own and only a book or two to study. No CDs or videos. I became a little frustrated and eventually parked the knives and the gravermeister. Now I have found this forum and am really excited to dust of my gravermeister and really go with just the engraving this time, applying it to my jewelry as time goes on. I am semi-retired now and have a lot more time to devote to the sport. I have made a few practice plates since coming upon this forum and studying the tutorials and I am seeing progress like I never saw before in my hundreds of others plates that I did without any type of guidance. Later on I will be posting some of my recent practice plates just to get some professional critique. I'm in awe of the fine quality of engraving posted by everyone on this forum. I'm like a kid in a candy store every evening in front of my computer.
I'm having fun trying to absorb all that I can.....everyone is so willing to share. Looking forward to sharing what I can in the future. Thanks to all, Gene
Old 03-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Hello from New Mexico!

Hi Gene
Welcome to the forum neighbor. Lots of good info and give and take here, also Steve makes the best tools. Dave

Help I am a tool addict:smilie5:
Old 03-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Gold

Thanks Dave, Small world, I'm originally from the San Luis Valley in Colorado. I miss the beautiful summers in the mountains. Yes, I've been reading about Steve's PC units, I'll have to save up for one. I definately am going to order his sharpening system though. I've come to realize how imporant it is to have good sharp gravers. Nice talking to you, Gene
Old 03-21-2008, 08:14 AM
Gold

Gene, Good to have you here, Wherebouts do you live, I'm about 35 miles east of Eunice New Mexico in Andrews TX, I've been making knives for years and would be more than happy to help you in anyway that I can. I'm getting started in the engraving as well, there's a great deal of help here. Hang in there, Dwayne

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Gold

Hi Dwayne, Thanks for the response. I live just east of Albuquerque in the small town of Edgewood. I still have the knives I made years back, I felt I had too much time and effort in making them I just couldn't get rid of them. You know, beginner's trophys. I really think I will concentrate on engraving for now leave knife making for a later time. I checked out your website, you make some beautiful knives...love that file work. Good to know you're out here somewhat close, I'll surely be contacting you in the future. Have you done any engraving that you'd want to show at this point in your learning? Talk to you later, Gene
Old 03-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Gold

Gene, I'll put them on the show & tell spot. Check it out, the two bladed trapper is a knife that I built and engraved, the others are ones I engraved for Johnny Stout & Charlie Majors. Thanks for the comments on my website & knives. Keep in contact, Dwayne

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Platinum

Welcome Gene looking forward to seeing your work. Ken Crutcher

The trouble with doing nothing is knowing when you are done.