View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Shading practice

I'm glad this thread has popped back to the top as I am working on shading a knife now.

In a way, I have to partially disagree with you Tim .... respectfully of course.

Great shading using a wide graver can cut down on the number of cuts but the placement of lines needs to be more precise and well coordinated to achieve the look you are talking about. I think this why a lot of highly experienced engravers are using a 120. It saves time and they can pull it off.

Also with the type of work you are doing ... light will reflect from the cuts of a wider graver and you can't always fill them with paint like on a firearm. In that case, a narrow graver holds oil better.

Chapi, I've found that a combination of gravers work rather well for doing fine shading. A 90 for most of the cuts and a 105 for cutting force lines. The 90 produces a much softer look as you have the ability to cut deeper lines and more of them to achieve the same level of gray (and better) as a wide graver. It's the depth of the cut that helps provide more flexibility.

Experimentation is the only way to improve and you're doing that. I'm combining shading techniques I've experimented with on the last two knives into the knife I'm doing now. I expect it to give me better dimension as well as softer look to the leaves. Of course, the trade off is time but learning to do the best shading you can pays off ... it can bring even the simplest scroll design to life or even help salvage an entire design.