View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Gold

Default Re: Where to buy gravers

Take down, I have recently bought graver handles with collets from this dealer, "Finding King". I doubt you will have a problem with them. But I would not advise these gravers at this price for two reasons. Later when you buy a sharpening fixture or especially a Lindsay template, I believe the gravers should be very close to 3/32" for repeatabilty when resharpening so you are resharpening at the same plane as before. Also this size is a little or borderline small and can "flex" when using if too much pressure is applied which is easy to do when starting out or trying to make deep cuts. "Flex" ="slip". At this price you are better off buying from Lindsay. If you want to go cheap look for assortments of used watchmaker or engravers gravers on Ebay etc. The old ones are all over the place size wise so you will probably have trouble using a Lindsay fixture. Old small files are very good to make gravers out of. Has the right temper- hardness. I bought the graver handles with collets for using these odd size gravers and am very happy with them, and going to buy 6 more. 6 for $13.03 with free USA shipping. They are not impressive to look at but work very well after cutting the plastic handle to make a flat spot and putting a piece of wood dowel inside the handle so the graver end has something to lock in to keep it from moving causing flex-slip. Also these handles are long, so you can use short gravers, and with somewhat undersize gravers there is less chance of "flex". Hope this was helpful. Kevin Scott