View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Platinum

Default Scrollwork design and analysis, step by step tutorial

Tom’s 1873 with Grape leaves and vine scroll is a stunning example of scrollwork design, yet is a very simple pattern that I think will make it much easier to grasp some of the principles of a well laid out scroll pattern and with his permission, I am going to use it as a basis for this tutorial.

His design elements of the leaves, tendrils and grapes are balanced, his overall design of the backbones compliments the shape of the gun, the rhythm of the interior sections are in harmony with exterior areas and the overall design of the three panels compliment each other for the finished product.

First lets look at the overall gun. What do you see? Three panels are there, with each one having an entirely different shape of it’s own. Each of these panels are study in and of themselves of scroll design, so lets break down this gun into the first panel that would just be behind the barrel.

What do you see here? What is the most striking thing in this panel? I suppose technically there could be two things, but they are somewhat connected.

Don’t be afraid to jump in here with your questions or comments.