View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Copper

Default Pen Blank maker/wanna be engraver

Hello all! My name is Seamus Rooney and I am from Wichita Falls, Tx and an aspiring engraver. My hunger for more artistic avenues with my pens continues to grow and two things are on the list of things to learn in order to take my skills to the next level: Metal turning(w/ a metal lathe) and an Air graver.
A little bit about me. Four years ago I began my journey into the woodturning world where i learned how to make a variety of things from bowls, goblets, platters, and most importantly to me, handwriting pens!(Wood Pen photo) Although i use kit pens, I chose to take my work to a different level and create pen blanks that are more personal than just your average block of wood or deer antler. Since i have experience in Scrollsawing, I thought i would thin some state quarters and try my hand at applying them to the construction of pens.(North Dakota flag/quarter pen) Then i realized that i could cut them out and make them look even more intriguing(Texas flag pen). My photography slowly improved as did my desire to fine tune the look of my Tru-Quarter™ blanks. (Flashlight pen Tx flag/quarter)

Anyway, while i enjoy making pens and blanks for other penturners, I feel like it is once again time to delve into more avenues of artistry. Both will allow me to take my skills to the next level as well as keep my mind focused on always improving my work.

I hope at this point i havent bored everyone reading this, but i wanted to share my intentions with becoming a member of this forum. Thank you for reading and I look forward to learning this detailed form of art!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My first five pens.JPG (82.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg North Dakota solid state qtr.JPG (68.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg TEXAS QUARTER PEN BEST.JPG (91.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ATRAX reduced.JPG (43.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1570.jpg (45.3 KB, 0 views)