View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Gold

Default Grass roots idea

hey erbody, I've had an idea for a while now, its kinda a social experiment. I'd like to eventually build a sort of school, for; engraving, knife making, blacksmithing etc. the idea is not to build a regular school per say, but a special school to sort of give back, or positively affect the community in a big way. I'd like to network with many different artisans to achieve this goal. The plan is to offer highschool students the opportunity to recieve either college scholarships, or attendence in a summer school program where they would attend a sort of long workshop taught by master artisans.

In order to earn the schollarship, or the attendance of said workshop, the student would be required to read The Ethics of Aristotle: The Nicomachean Ethics (Penguin Classics). The student would be required to send in a book report stating their interpretation of the ethics, and their relationship to modern society. in addition the student would be required to do a good deed for their community, a magnificient act, document the act and submit documented results. The winner of the "essay contest" would either recieve a scholarship, or recieve a trip to the workshop which would be tought by industry leaders.... perhaps volunteers..... master artisans...

I think if this were done at several locations and publicized whenever possible all over the country it could have a positive effect on our society.... it may even lead to the correction of some long standing social issues we have to face everyday.... at the very least it would teach a few eager and motivated young people how to correctly use their fervor for life. What do you think about the idea? Jim