Thread: Greetings All
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Copper

Default Greetings All

I would like to introduce myself.
First: Thank You for allowing me to join your forum.
My name is Ted Throckmorton and I live in Duchesne Utah.
My body has convinced me that it is time for me to find a craft that is not so physically demanding as being a blacksmith.
I have been involved with Blacksmithing first as a hobbyist, then as a profession that I was able to support my family with.
As I got older and health issues took charge, I had to revert back to being a hobbyist blacksmith. And now as the last few years have rushed by, I have reverted back to becoming minimalist hobbyist blacksmith observer, but never the less, a very happy observer.

I enjoy seeing and appreciating what other craftsman have accomplished.

The closest that I have ever came to engraving is to “Tool Patterns” onto leather.
And as a close second, I have been trained in the skills of Repousse’, which is cold forming steel into shapes and patterns.

The reason I have come into this forum was driven by my desire to make SPURS.
Engraving spurs is just about a necessity as I have found out.
Although I am fascinated with the possibility of learning how to engrave, I am not sure that my mind and body will follow! So I will just have to deal with the learning curve.

I live in an area where there is no possibility to take classes to start with. I have always found that direct “Hands On” training saves a lot of time in improving a persons skills and even to help them determine if the craft is for them, or not!!

As of this time I know absolutely NOTHING about engraving.
So I plan on studying, and studying to a point that I may actually be able to ask a question that would make sense.

So, I will try to hang in the background and learn.
Thank You!

I am not sure if this is posted in the proper area. If not, I Apologize!