View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Copper

Default Re: new Coin Carver from washington

So, this is what im working with. ive made these chisels from drill bits & shaped them to various geometries,and always trying to figure out new shapes to make for texturing etc.
then , i made this little anvil from a chunk of steel, and then made a copper cradle to put the nickel into. it is so important to have the little cradle because alot of the work involves angling my chisel 45* to chip out the background.
ok so i know this is totally ghetto, and i intend to get one of those engravers vises in the future. this works for now. one problem with not having it clamped is that any 45* chiseling that is close to the edge generally causes the coin to twist in the cradle, and so its like a battle of wits between the coin and i, and im losing...
but this is it basically. i had a tough time getting images of the tips, but primarily i have 2 size flat tips for smoothing things out, and 3 thicknesses of liners. and 3 points of diferent radii. and a scraping tool, a crescent texturing tool, triangular texturing, annd teardrop texturing.
oh yeah and m most important tool looks like the liners but is more sharp at the tip with only the slightest radiused edge, it is what i use to do the stock removal, i have 2 of these, one is vary narrow .063" for tight areas, and the other larger .125" . for chipping out larger areas.
obviously cant wait to learn to use a graver!!! LOL !!
Peace!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0139.JPG (185.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0142.JPG (193.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0144.JPG (189.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06328.jpg (56.4 KB, 55 views)