View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Steel

Default Re: An experiment in Lettering and Printing

The Music: Melvynn Braggs 'In our time' Podcast, Beta Band, Imogen Heap
The Drink: H2O (Detoxing from Caffeine substance abuse)
The Weather: Sunny/Raining/Sleet. who cares - my toes are frozen. Winter has set in
The Mood: Glad that it was cold enough to wear my new woolly hat. It's purple with a Massive pom pom on top.

OK, so apologies for dropping out of sight for a few weeks. Its been very busy preparing for Christmas fairs and in-between I went to Scotland to work with an engraver there, which was good fun.

So lets get to it: Drawing/Pointing on. (NOTE _ by drawing on I mean drawing with a point through the paper to leave a plascticene film of my drawing/lettering, by Pointing on I mean drawing with the scribe directly onto the metal)

So I skipped a step. I left the flourishes and just pointed the lettering on to the copper plate. I just havent had time to work out a cool flourishy design, and am going to work on it before/during engraving.

At this point photography becomes a bigger challenge so forgive the poor quality photos.

First I polished the copper plate with brasso and then I got my paper sketch, rolled plascticene all over the back and stuck it on top of my copper plate. It is important that it doesnt shift around or stuff gets blurry

Then I just drew over my lettering drawing with my scribe, using dividers to check the centres and line spacing.
NB if doing a print check your image is going on reversed rather than pointing the whole thing on first and then realising it has to go on back to front (ahem. I made this mistake)

Checking the centres

Checking the letter height

I lifted up the paper to check that the lines were marked on straight and the letter heights were correct (check by eye or with dividers if necessary)

Then I drew the lettering on line by line tracing over my drawing. I was worried about smudging so I drew one line at a time and then pointed it on with the scribe before moving on to the next line.

Then I drew it on with my scribe and here, more or less visible, is the result.

So that was a quick one just to get me on track. I REALLY hope I can get this finished before the deadline, but even if I dont I will finish it eventually.

More soon!