View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 11:35 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Katherine's Scrimshaw Tutorial: experimenting with mammoth ivory

I didn't have much time today, so not much progress. I very lightly (very little pressure) added more dots to the outline of the bison. I didn't want a hard outline, since it's kind of a furry critter, just wanted to get a better sense of the lines, and as you can probably tell these are smaller dots than the original transfer (it'll all work out in the end). And I went ahead and put a border on this because I don't like working all the way to the edge.

The light colored part of the ivory (left side particularly toward the bottom) is VERY soft. Over-all this is softer than elephant ivory but I'm going to have to be super careful on those pale areas, yikes.

I want to say a few words about the photos that you see here. I was asked about doing through-the-microscope pics. I can't, I don't have a camera with a small enough lens. The pics you see that have a penny in them, those are all done on my flatbed scanner. The others are taken with a few-year-old Nikon Coolpix 5700 on which the flash has died but it is still handy for macro and one-handed shots. The other camera (Nikon D80) has even bigger lenses. Maybe I'll get a little camera for Christmas.