View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Copper

Default Re: Inket Printer Transfers or What Works & What Don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDubber View Post
Tim:

This is to note that I have good transfer results with my DELL Photo 924 printer using 3M CG3480 Film for Ink Jet Jet Printers (45 sheets for 19.95 at Office Depot). I also make my own transfer solution by mixing 1 part Damar Varnish with 9 parts Denatured Alcohol - and applying that solution to the subject (firearm or other metal surface) with a Q-Tip appicator. The solution is allowed to flash dry, the film/image is positioned, and then burnished to transfer the ink image.

This 3M Film also works with my HP Photosmart. The nature of this kind of transparency film is that one side has a grainy texture - that's what dries the ink on the plastic transparency surface. So, it is necessary to print in the "Mirror Image" feature, making sure the printer is placing ink on the grainy side of the film.
I really like the idea of this method since I am cleaning up my designs in Photoshop. I tried it several times on a steel plate that I had cleaned well. I could see the design when I turned it toward the light in certain directions but couldn't see it otherwise. Any ideas what I did wrong. My instructor said that it may have been that I should have roughed up the surface lightly before trying the transfer since the plate had a shiny surface. I am using an HP Photosmart D7160 printer that uses Vivera cartridges.