View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Inket Printer Transfers or What Works & What Don't

I've updated my results in the "experimental" thread.

I also noted that HP Vivera inks will transfer with either composite black in addition to black only.

Some older HP, ink based, printers only accept a standard black ink cartridge like the #45, however the color cartridges are available with the Vivera formulation. This means you don't have to run out and buy a new printer specifically for transferring. Composite prints are significantly lighter but are workable.

I was able to get an acceptable transfer using my HP Photosmart P1000 printing composite black (color mix).

An "available now" printer that works excellent is the HP 5580 All-in-one. $139 bucks at Staples. I bought a #75XL black cartridge for it to be on the safe side because it is clearly labeled "Vivera" ink on the package. The XL simply refers to "Xtra Large".

This is all using Tom White's Transfer Magic and will also work with the Damar varnish mix as Mike Dubber states above.

-----

From a business point of view ... I chose an HP all-in-one with cartridges that I knew would work. This printer also consolidates space on my bench by replacing both my older scanner and older printer. The fact that it performs excellent as a business solution AND for transferring detailed images makes it a great investment for $139 bucks.

From an engraving point of view ... Having two methods of transferring is a good idea. The laser/acetone or parchment methods for transferring less detailed stuff (which is most of the time) and the transparency method when accuracy in image placement and resolution is imperative.

For informational purposes .... I don't know who is going to sort this out (Tim?). Anyone posting their results should include a photo and state the make, model and cartridges of their printer. Also state whether or not the printer is discontinued or currently available.

On a side note .... Mylar does not work. I let the ink dry for about 15 minutes and it still smudged.

That's it. Have a nice day.

p.s. .... there's just something "wrong" about buying shine at a gubbermint run store.