View Single Post
Old 12-19-2020, 04:54 AM
Copper

Default Re: Introduction and information request

Quote:
Originally Posted by chujybear View Post
You don’t need to struggle so much.. most of it is subjective... having more to do with how you use the tool rather than any particular rules.

That said there are a few things that may help guide you.

The first (smaller) template is mor about creating a clearance for the actual cutting head, as well as providing some rough shaping.. you can polish this or leave it as course as you like, it will not effect your final cutting edge.. if you spend a lot of time on this one you will end up with a much smaller cutting end. How small of a cutting end you want is up to you. The small cutting tip may improve your visibility around your work.. it actually doesn’t change how small you can cut.. as long as it has the same geometry the largest graver tip will cut as fine as your finest. Leaving a tool tip big will add to its versatility in terms of being able to cut bigger and deeper lines, as well as for using it to sculpt.. it sounds like i am suggesting that you should just have big tips. I am not , you will find what is comfortable to you.

The main thing to bear in mind as you sharpen is keeping the facets even. I often count the strokes that i do on each facet, and sneak up on a tip that way.]

The large template are for your cutting face and heal .. if you need the terminology the face is the triangular (depending on the geometry you are using) portion that drives into the metal, the heel are the two facets that are on the base of the cutting tip. The face you just grind unti you reach the tip.. then you walk through your grits until you are shiny... you will want to get up to a 600 grit at least.
The heal is the pointy side of the template and you want to yes your 2000 grit diamond here.. just one quick swipe for each heal... your graver should travel about 12mm on the stone.. you may wat more.. but the best is just the barest glint for the facet of your heel.
Thank you so much for the reply, I think this was very helpful and the explanation super easy to interpret. I stress so much over these things, almost makes me want to either buy them all already sharpened and ready to go or give up. In my line of work I buy my working tools ready to plug and play. It’s a learning curve I know, I’m being more dramatic than how I’m really feeling I will try to update some pics of how I’m sharpening them and maybe.
But regarding your observations , when I’m shaping the graver with the small template, is there no proportion required between the different faces other than they being symmetric?

Thank you again for your time! Have a nice weekend .

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Daniel- View Post
Hi Daniel,

I assume you have other templates you want to use?
Basically it is up to you how much you grind your gravers depending on your needs. I have some gravers grinded down to 0,5mm face for very fine lines and dots. But i grinded those gravers so small to get a better view. The cut they produce could be done with a way larger face aswell.
With other words, as long as the geometry of your graver is correct and it cuts you can cut small lines even with a large face. But if the face is smaller you are limited to finer cuts. As long as you do standard engravings your graver wont dive deeper as around 0,2 mm per cut.

What templates do you have?
hey there, thank you so much for taking the time.
I have acquired the sharpening set, so I have the clear one, red, blue and black. I’m not at home so I don’t know the names exactly but I think it is the universal, the detailing 96, detailing 105 and the knife combo.
I think I will stick to the basics for now until I get a good understanding of how it works and finD a reliable method to Consistently sharpen the gravers.
When you say the geometry of the graver, what do you mean exactly? The overall shape obtained with the first template?thats one of my questions, what fazer get ground more and which ones should be ground less?

Thank you again for the time and for your help!