View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Steel

Default Re: Nickel Engraving

I did decide to go into debt and get a foot control air graver and sent Steve a Bank check this past Thursday. After reading the feedback I was sold on his engineering. I keep getting these checks in the mail and I keep tearing them up except the last one. I really can't wait as I have used some GRS tools in the past and I had issues with them.

Yes I saw the pictures of Steve L.'s coining press that he restored...beautiful press. Press work can be hazardous. The press people don't use the large drop hammer as it is too scarey. I love that machine and running it is exhilarating...it's so violent.

I don't mean to hack this thread but here are a few pics of what I was doing a long time ago. They are digital pictures of 35mm prints. This is a practice plate. An old buttplate from a military rifle that I got for free at a gun shop. There are numerous problems with the scrollwork.
[IMG]http:/engravingschool.com/forum-pics/butt_plate640.jpg[/IMG]
This is the air cleaner cover off of my old Harley Davidson Sportster.

This is a Browning single shot rifle that had gold borders and a gold prairie dog.

I was learning and I hope to catch up with that. I was not entirely happy with the engraving work just as I am not with the die work. Always trying to do better on the next one. Mostly it's little things that people never notice but I know it's there. I haven't mastered anything but I am able to stay employed.

If you and Dave want to take a tour of the workplace they do that quite often. I could probably take you through. Of course I don't find it very interesting as I do it every day...except for the sculpting which I find interesting.

I have a penny at work that Carl Mcdougal made a copy of an Indian head penny design. It is stamped over a Lincoln penny and the Indian head is embossed over the portrait of Lincoln. I'll have to try and find it for you.

Sorry for my long winded post.