View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006, 09:34 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Nickel Engraving

Yes they have a facination. While many carvers collect coins I do not. I simply carve them for the one thing i like to collect. $'s.

As you get into engraving you will eventually figure out something that you are really good at and begin to hone your skills in that direction.

I began carving Ivory in the 70's. I got the Clasic to do Ivory but fell into the nickel world not too long ago. It's fun challenging and I am pretty much assured that what ever I do is snapped up by someone somewhere. I do engrave, not the traditional things. I like to look for niche areas that are wide open rather than do what everyone else does. That in itself is hard to do. As often you have to create your own market.

I imagine in Pueblo you will be able to do quite well. Take some of your work down to the railroad tracks and visit will all the Indian jewlers who hang out there. You will get some business. Lots of tourist sales going on there. Stores there are good too. Nice town and lots going on further south and west. You don't have much competition if any to worry about there so hurry up and get good.