Thread: To cut Cleanly?
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Gold

Default Re: To cut Cleanly?

yeah...... tis like I hit the advice jackpot... thanks again. Well I'm at present cutting soft mild steal, but not dead soft. I think it's surely a combination of all the ellements discussed.... I have to face it, I'm trying to become a part of that small percentage of people who use the resources newly available to shorten the time it takes to develope a skill that generally takes a person many years to master.... you know I have read all the books on the subject, that I am aware exist and follow all the rules the best I can.... but with my small amount of experience ( just over a year), I would not be at all surprised to sit down with an old graver and have him laugh at my tool sharpening skills or my ability to syncronize the foot/hand/eye.

I'm getting great mechanical chips they are long and curly.... thought of grinding a breaker due to the fact that their too long.... so I doubt that my sharpening skills are all that bad... maybe I am cutting too deeply, but I have an even heal from tip to side of face far higher than depth of cut... am currently cutting main lines in one pass with the exception of finishing/backcutting... depth is around .010"-.015" Like ya say, tis shootin in the dark with out sitting at side and watching... but worth discussing anyhow...Thanks, Jim