View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Platinum

Default Installment 2 of ....

... a classic old shooter to s**t.

Just pulled this old rusty clunker from the Evapo-Rust bath. I left it in for a week, occasionally taking the black crap off with a wire brush and then I forgot about it for a few days more.

The cylinder now opens and spins with the assistance of a pair of vise grips. The trigger and hammer also move. As soon as I get it apart, I'll have it working perfectly then I'll take sand paper to the pitting.

Would I shoot it? Hell yes!! .... but only if it is tied to the oak tree out back. The bore and chambers are mint but the pitting is a little deep on one side of the cylinder. There's enough meat to withstand a low pressure cowboy or black powder load.

It's a .41 Long Colt commercial model. Probably worth $600 to $900 bucks in great shape. This particular example might fetch $10 bucks in spare parts and scrap. The owner's wife is still gonna pay for it cleaned up so it looks like the marriage is saved. My investment - $20 bucks for Evapo-Rust and a little spare time tinkering.

I have to admit .... Evapo-Rust rocks. http://www.evapo-rust.com/

Just in case you guys still don't take my word for it .... here's the rampant Colt above the grip (or what's left of it ... what a shame). :[1]:

disclaimer: I am not a spokesperson for Harris International Labs (the makers of Evapo-Rust) paid or otherwise.