Thread: Hagn action
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Platinum

Default Hagn action

On this project I did the following:
1. A sketch, which I reduced and used as an acetone transfer.
2. We needed some gold sheet so I fished around in the toolbox for a gold coin, and the torch, asbestos block and rolling mill.
3. The coin is annealed.
4. and run through the mill.
5.coming out the other side a little flatter, this is repeated two or three times.
6. After it begins to work harden, it is heated again for annealing.
7.Then run through the mill two or three more times.
8. and Annealed again.and rolled again until it is about .010 inches in thickness for this job.
9.This is one of the areas to be filled with gold, undercut, and with a raised "Burrveldt".
10. the gold coin, rolled to .010 and cut in half for ease of handling. Note the serrations remaining on the edge.
11. the gold is burnished onto the area to be filled.
12. This burnishing has left a mark on the opposite side.
13, This mark guides the scissors, to cut the correct piece for the area to be filled.
14. The piece of gold, to fit the area. It is then hammered into place.
15. the process is repeated for the different areas that need to be filled, burnishing,
16. the burnishing leaves a mark,
17. and the piece is cut out.
18. checked for fit.
19, 20. And hammered into place.
21. Ted Blackburn taught me this trick, a piece of aluminum with carpet tape holding emory paper to mike a clean finish sanding.
22. the gold brought close to level.
23. The sides of this action are slightly sculpted, so I am using a Dan Goodwin tip, a rubber block backed with emory paper to bring down the sides.
24. lines are cut around the gold, scroll laid out and relieved, ready for shading.