Thread: thoughts
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Platinum

Default Re: thoughts

Gobbler
the time required i would think would most certainly be considerable .
But im guessing here because I have
1) never tried to work at that level and frankly am no where capable of recreating it
To what I would consider any level of quality
2) I have yet to use a Pneumatic type system .
To this point my engraving has been with simple chase and push gravers , preferring the chase method . Which by the way is one of the reasons im so intrigued with this Lindsay Graver as it reproduces chase work IMO identically because of how it works .

If you look at some of the work of the folks on this web site as well as Mr Lindsey’s videos he has provided you will see what I mean

The first plate that I posted according to DR Lenk is dated 1660 and was done by Thuraine and Le Hollandois . These are actually 2 separate plates from their writings and are numbered plate 9 and 4.
Some of the other plates he shows are from Francois Marcou and Jean Berain from the mid 17th century .
Some of the Berain plates are simply extraordinary with the rifles being over the top with inlays of ruby , mother of pearl , silver wire work to the extreme, very few castings , yet extremely heavy in their relief of every component of the rifles . Which by the way are smooth rifles IE smooth bores with rear sights ..
Stock carving on these pieces also appears to be minimal with most all the work being bright work

But back to your question , I would think , but again the other folks here that use Pneumatics could better say as to if this is fact or not . But I would think it would cut the work time down considerable for someone who had mastered the use of this tool