View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Introduction and first question

Hi Randy,

Far as I know... you are welcome here! This forum was designed for the owners of the Lindsay tools - but ALL engraving questions are answered - providing, of course, that someone has the answer - and the time...

In answer to your question: We do that triangular cut you are describing with either a 90 degree or a flat graver. It just kinda depends on which one happens to be handy. (Meaning in the handpiece) Result is the same.

You just start your cut with with the flat graver up on it's corner and roll it a bit. If you are using the 90 degree it's the same motion.

With either graver, when you reach the width you require - you stop the roll and snap up and out of the metal.

Yes, I know it sounds much simpler than it is when you are just starting out. Practice making the little triangles over and over on a piece of scrap copper.

You can make a nice border treatment with a row of these triangles all going one way and then cutting another in reverse that fits right up against it.

Rereading that doesn't make much sense... I'll have to make an image and post it later on this evening.

Meanwhile, if you haven't already - go and read about the Lindsay grind - it'll make your work much easier.

Brian P. Marshall
Stockton Jewelry Arts School
Stockton, CA USA
209-477-0550
instructor@jewelryartschool.com
www.jewelryartschool.com