View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Katherine's Scrimshaw Tutorial: experimenting with mammoth ivory

Okeedokey, a little dry sanding and we're back in business. It's not glassy smooth yet but at least I've got the hills and valleys leveled out again. Sheesh.

Side 1

Side 2

As you might notice from these scans, this piece of ivory really sucks for scrim use. I just hate to waste anything so I've been determined to make it work. However, those cracks are way undercut, like the top layer is separating. If I sand it down far enough to get through those I'm sure I'll just run into more separations, and those are obviously going to take ink, which will drive me batty, so there are two options at this point:

1) use this piece as scrap to test ink and texture and sealants but forget doing anything nice on there. I can do a nice image on the other piece, which is not cracked.

2) cut the end off and go for it! Waste not want not. Use the cut off end for practice.

I'll have to ponder this, I need to work on a drawing now anyway, but I think I'll go for option 2, it'll just change the shape of the artwork I plan to use (which is fine, long skinny images are hard to compose anyway).