Thread: Sass
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Sass

Well .... you're gonna have to get yourself a costume and pick out a name for yourself. For you Dave ... I recommend a 10 gallon hat and the name "Hoss". ... .

Seriously Dave ... There was a real good magazine out called "Guns of the Old West". Don't know if it is still out there but it had just about everything you needed to know in it ... everything from shooting originals to shooting the spaghetti repros with tons of SASS info in it. If you can't find it on a good news stand then it's probably not in print anymore. I gotta whole stack of them you can have.

I was gonna get into it a few years back and I just never got around to it. I enjoy the long range black powder shooting better but just can't find the time for that either. Here's a photo of the rig I had made about 10 years ago .... it's a Remington 1858 with a hand stitched belt and holster with three pouches for 45 Colt conversion cylinders stitched into it (Yeah ... who didn't love that Eastwood movie). The tie-down slides out of the holster since those were really invented by Hollywood anyway. There's also a cartridge slider for Sharps 50s but it's not in the photo. Thought of selling it many times but always back out. Shooting that 1858 is the most fun I've ever had shooting anything but the revolver fouls and binds up by the time I'm almost done with the 3rd cylinder. One thing your definitely going to have to get into and that is reloading. If you really want to save a ton-o-money .... casting too. Very much like participating in any type of re-enactment, it can get very expensive depending upon how "authentic" you really wanna get. I would love to have had R.L. Millington make a true period conversion but that price is pretty large.

Have fun dude ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00073-sm.jpg (36.3 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by WVEngraver; 07-11-2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: added