View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Steel

Default Re: Too old to start?

Welcome Gun Nut. You're never too old for anything. Period. That said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Bleile View Post
Most of the wannabes that I meet are full of questions about tools, and equipment and never think of asking about how to create the designs and get them on the gun.
That's because of our instant download, stock art and design, society. And it's good... and bad.

What most (noobs) don't realize (IMO), or they don't realize it yet, is that the value of engraving (or any art for that matter) isn't in the work itself.

The value is the execution of the design in which the artist's (read engraver here) original design and vision for that unique piece is expressed as a singular idea based on the project itself.

I look at it as: "There can be only one."

Stock designs are fine to learn on, but Leonard Francolini isn't downloading designs for his colt creations. Mike Dubber and all of the incredible engravers who are renowned for their skill, are actually known for their unique style. The way they create and transfer a vision onto a substrate.

Just a point of note. Lots of new engravers think if they can learn the techniques of "engraving" that they can make a killing, or at least a living.

I say, Yes, and No. The 55th engraving of a stock design transfer is going to sell at a much lower price than singular creations.

And if you can't translate a client's vision into the design they envision on whatever it is they want engraved - you'll have trouble with commissioned pieces.

The value, and the sales, of a successful engraver is in the original style of their designs and their work. The ability to take an idea and create from it.

And that's where the real engraving work starts.

Again, this is simply my opinion.

The good part is we're here to help, Gun Nut.
scottd.