View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 05:19 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Too old to start?

Your not going to get any younger so quit worrying about it and get started. The tools have an excellent secondary market if you fail. It's an enjoyable process and a great bunch of folks that are involved.

My Mom couldn't draw a lick but she was an excellent leather crafter. Maybe not world class but she made nice stuff and had fun. I approach engraving from an "art" perspective but know many that approach it from a "craft" approach. The first trys to come up with original designs where as the other will use patterns and designs created by others. Both can create excellent work. It's kind of like some folks are great song writers and others great performers. Which is the "craftsman" and which is the "artist"? When done properly it's all the same.

For me engraving is mostly about it being an enjoyable pastime. I'm far more motivated to carve than I've ever been to draw.

I figure as long as your having fun who cares if your good. It's not flying, nobody is going to die if your a crappy engraver.

If your planning a new money making career the above advice is bad.

John