View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Too old to start?

Gun Nut,

I see by your profile that you are 56. That is not necessarily too old. The question is have you done anything artistic in your life up to now? The technical/skill side of engraving can be learned in a couple of years but as we commonly say here you can not engrave what you can't draw.

All of the students that I have instructed have had a struggle with the art side of engraving unless they had done artistic projects from an early age.

When I wrote American Engravers - The 21st Century about the top engravers in the US, I discovered that the common thread in each engraver's biography is that each had been doing artistic things of some kind since youth.

Some of my colleagues on this forum, who are successful engravers, take it for granted that everyone has been involved in art since youth as they have and thus think that anyone can become a good engraver with modest effort and the right tools.

Most of the wannabes that I meet are full of questions about tools, and equipment and never think of asking about how to create the designs and get them on the gun.

So, without knowing what your art background is, if any, your question is really hard to answer.