View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Hello from Germany

Tina,

Welcome to this forum. There are many things you can learn here but it is not like having a course of study that has been established over the years.

One of the world's best hand engraving schools is in Suhl, Germany. While it is a full time school (as far as I know) I am sure that if you contact one of the masters you can receive some direction and advice, especially where to get tools.

You do not say what it is that you want to engrave but gun engraving is the largest source of work for hand engravers, especially in Germany. Learning gun engraving will also position you to work on knives as well. On the other hand if you wish to learn engraving only for jewelry it is another matter and does not require as many skills and artistry as gun and knife work.

Guns are mainly engraved with hammer and chisel or in German, mit hammer und stichel. Jewelry is mainly engraved with a burin (hand Stichel) which is also known as a push graver. Anything can be engraved with an AirGraver as made and sold by Steve Lindsay, however these are very rare among German engravers because the masters were all taught with the traditional tools and have little or no experience with air powered gravers.

German engravers have a very unique way of engraving scrollwork with hammer & chisel. They use an off center vise with a bearing under it and have a technique for making the vise rotate as they engrave spirals. I tried to do the technique when I visited the Merkel factory but could only get the vise and work to go half way round. I was told it takes lots of instruction and practice to work in this way. I have never seen engravers in any other country (including Austria) engrave as German trained engravers do but I must say it is very efficient.

The name and address of the engraving school is: Berufsfachschule Buchsenmacher & Graveure, Robert-Schumann Strasse 6, 98529 Suhl.

The e-mail address is: bfs-suhl@freenet.de

The phone number is: 0 36 81/ 71 46 16

The masters are Werner Wahl and Andreas Amthor. They are both very nice and helpful fellows and could give you some valuable advice.

Also it would be helpful to click on the link under my signature for the engraving glossary (worterbuch) which has many definitions with pictures, some of the words are German.

Best of luck,

Roger