View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Gold

Default Re: i am new here and need a little help please Mammoth tusk ivory

There are some very talented Scrimshanders that belong to the forum. They will be along shortly I am sure. I have worked with most of the Ivory materials myself and can say they are alot of fun. I have done some scrim myself, infact I have a bit of the material in polished forms ready for me to get rolling. I must add that if you work the material, be cautious with the dust. Try not to inhale much of it, it gave me a very, very nasty sinus infection a year ago. A simple mask or respirator will offer good protection.

As for scrimming, anything with a point is suitable for the work. I have use carbide needles, regular sewing needles, carbide sharpened points, ect.. You can simply get started with an Exacto Blade holder/Pen Knife with a sharpened point attached. Some form of magnification is also very handy. Depending on your eyes, anything from a Optivisor or Loupe, with suit. When you get into the work and microscope is a veritable asset. There is a tremedous amount of information on this topic. If one tires of singly addind dot after dot or one should desire, there are a couple of companies that offer a pnuematic tool for speeding up the process. Paleo Tools in Utah offers a very nice tool I would like to try when I get up and running again. Inks, and paints, ect. for blackening your scrim will vary by taste. Some like inks, oil paint, Sharpie's, ect. Try a couple of them and you will find your favorite medium.

As for "working" the Mammoth Ivory, anything that will work wood will work Ivory generally speaking. Dremels or similiar type rotary tools are a great asset for shaping. Coping saws, Band Saws are well suited. Sanding is also a personal preference with a variety of arguments being made over "dry" vs "wet". I used both. I like to finish polish by using the wet method with automotive wet sand paper in varying grits. You want it to be a smooth as glass for scrimshaw. Getting there will take a bit of time but is attainable. Also the Mammoth Ivory will have a fluctuation of density in it. Some areas will be really hard and some soft. There will also be portions that will try an delaminate on you. This is one of the areas where the dry vs wet comes in. Obviously if you use the innermost portion of the tusk, that is where it will be the most dense. The outer was exposed to many environmental fluctuations. Some will use the color variations to there compositional advantages. This is where the designer or artist in you will show. As with any of the above, your heart, mind and progression of talent will lead you to much enjoyment in working with the material.

Your'e interest will find you many like-minded friends and associates. They will assist you in your travels. You are in good hands among the forum. Best wishes and Enjoy.

Welcome!!!!:whoo: