Thread: To cut Cleanly?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Gold

Default Re: To cut Cleanly?

Yeah , Hey again fellas... the heel angle I use (17.5) is a number passed to me by Mike Dubber, I have experimented a little to adjust for clearance under scope n such, but have found his advice to suit me best at most times. I usually cut the face at 55 degrees and this certainly could be our culprit... I cut a negative 2.5 degree relief behind the heel and for fine work have been using a sixty degree included square graver. am doing bulino at the moment but will soon experiment with the advice given on this thread, I think I will start by cutting much shallower, reducing background and cutting again.... on otherside I will attempt to experiment with face angle and heel length.

After considering all the facts.... this things been rolling around upstairs for the last few.... I think my problem is probably a combination of steep face angle and depth of cut... It is deffinately necessary to use scope to find this burr/lip, but its there... n driving me crazy... I suppose thats how she goes.

Yup, Graver Tom, Copper is what I use to practice for gold, and have cut a pewter figurine once, but found the pewter to be a terrible experience.... surely I gave up too quickly.

Thanks again fellas for taking the time to help... it is greatly appreciated, Jim

Last edited by jdveritas; 11-22-2006 at 12:56 PM.