Thread: To cut Cleanly?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Gold

Default To cut Cleanly?

I have a couple of questions that may need to be ansewered for severall of us. When a cut is made the metal at the top edge of the cut is forced upwards invariably to some extent. I have been told this is desirable for metal inlay as it produces a lip that is then forced down during the burnishing and sanding process and allows a more secure inlay. Banknote ofcoures is another issue all togather as this lip is visible in certain lighting conditions and is prone to being buggered up. Any suggestions on cutting technique to lesson the height of this lip, and I must ask... how much of a lip dose a twenty year veteran engraver cast when cutting?.... .003"?

Here's another question on the subject. when finishing the cut, I pop the graver up and out, while dropping the heel. This causes the graver to shear instead of cut but seems to be necessary to maintain even depth to the termination of line... back cutting may help and is probably the ansewer but this also produces on small level uneveness in depth at start of line..... any suggestions on getting rid of that tiny shear at the end of cut without leaving a heal mark ...... I guess the ansewer is to stop short and back cut at termination point.... I dunno..... help, I'm almost there.. Jim