View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Steel

Default Re: coining (wasnt sure where this would go)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Bleile View Post
Joe,

I have been interested in coining silver bracelets by engraving a die for one rather than engraving them one at a time. I realize that it would require a very substantial press to strike something as big as a piece of silver 3/4"x 6"x1/8". Rather than buying a press, is it possible to go to a die shop, have them make an unhardened die block that I would engrave then have them harden it and strike the bracelets that I would finish and bend?

Thanks,

Roger
Hello Roger,

In my opinion your plan should work perfectly. You need to find a company that has a large press that is used for e.g. cutlery or big medals. Than you could discuss the preconditions and technical details of the die you want to make. In many cases such a company has employees that make the necessary tools.

Let them prepare the steel block that you are going to engrave. If the engraving is ready they also should take care of hardening the steel. Especially when the die is used on their press it is better to let them choose the steel (tool steel comes in all kinds of different alloys) and do the hardening. It is safer.

Regards,
Lei