Thread: Utah engravers
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Gold

Default Re: Utah engravers

Welcome Dan!

Although many have tried and still do, you will find the over-all consensus frowns upon the use of a pneumatic hand piece, for traditional metal engraving applications. I owned the very kit you have when Lou the original owner of Paragraphic's had the company.

They are Great in a good many applications like carving, etching and some portions of the engraving process such as background removal. However they just don't make a very good replacement for gravers, whether by hand, hammer & chisel, or related pneumatic ( GRS or Lindsay ) style hand pieces.

Personally I have done very little engraving with gravers and the like, so my experience in that arena is nil, however I have done many different carvings and etchings with "paragrave" style tools. I am located in Cache Valley if you should desire to get together and share creative processes.

On aside, Lee Griffith's also lives in Cache Valley although I am pretty certain his schedule is very, very limited and I haven't heard him doing to much by way of instruction from his studio. Utah is home to several very talented engravers, but I don't know many that call Northern UT home.