View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 01:32 AM
Platinum

Default Re: interesting perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbj View Post
It's results that count . There is a charm and appeal to hand engraving that is unmistakeable, but the world is changing, and there are certainly more aids and short cuts than there were even a decade ago. If you take every shortcut from laziness, your work will probably drown in a sea of mediocrity. If you hold onto being a purist, you might marginalise your talent ( but that's an individual call for sure). I just didnt think much of many of the somewhat brainwashed 'purists' I saw coming out of design schools in Aus, and I belived the future lay with neither them nor the somewhat blinkered trade students. If you can get a beautiful result in a reasonable time frame, you're onto a winner.
PERZACKETLY!

talking of brainwashed design students, i have a meeting with some of them from CSU next week to discuss my thoughts on the future of jewellery in Australia, 5 students are coming down for a seminar and asked me to pencil in some time for them.. GH will be addressing them as well regarding RJC in Aus via Skype conference..

think YJG woudl LOVE to be flies on that wall.. but honestly I am not sure what i can tell them that wont depress them somewhat? I dont know how the industry absorbs "artists" versus artisans.. dont think there would be many "designer" positions around for uni students with negligible hand skills?

Sigh.. Sometime i tire of this "allknowing superguru" costume ive been painted with because people dont want to hear the truth, they want to hear what their perspective of it is... and I usually cannot produce that for them, so they shoot the messenger.. im tired of the rhetoric..

But , back on topic, its interesting to see this old versus new is prevalent in all areas of our trade..

SOOO.. let me stick my neck out to get it chopped again..

I have been browsing the "get together" photographs in the gallery section, and it seems to be mostly .. uhhh.. more *mature* gentlemen at these meets..

is this because

1: Engraving is in the domain of older users
2: Gun Engraving is in the domain of older users
3: young fellas dont go to meets, but they are around..

?
Most human beings only think they want freedom. In truth they yearn for the bondage of social order, rigid laws, materialism, the only freedom man really wants, is the freedom to become comfortable. - (Sons of Anarchy)