View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Steel

Default Re: Paul's Contest Submission on learning lettering Engraving

Finally set set all the gear (although the compressor is out on the sink at the moment), and are running the air hose on the floor, as it has to serve several purposes, Its all a bit crowded but I will fix it up later.

Bench setup

AND THE DAY HAS COME FINALLY HAD A PLAY!!!
First use of the vice, microscope, and my classic, took a little while to understand the positioning vice (i kept moving the microscope by mistake )
Marked both sides plate, just to get some idea of the tool, and the vice

First plates with the classic

Well the airgraver worked like magic, cut with no effort, but I can see I will need some practice to coordinate everything, position the graver, move the vice , use the foot pedal , and think quick enough. the graver can cut so easily that it can get away from me. also I need to relearn how to hold the tool, with WAY less pressure. I was not too bad cutting with the graver held straight, but I had lots of trouble holding it over to wide cut. lindsays 116v dont need any where near as much leaning over as I am accustom to and would bite a bit with my unsteady hand. I can see the advantages just need more practice.
At the moment its a bit like patting your head and rubbing your stomach in opposite directions, all a little bit uncoordinated , but I think if I slow down some more, and practice with the foot control it will all come to getter fairly quickly .
I am already cutting much smoother than I have ever done, thanks to lindsays sharpening system, dont seem to get the heel drag, And there is no effort pushing the graver, so with a bit of coordination I will be able to concentrate on the actual engraving.
I think I will set up more plates like this just to get a better feel, then try the more challenged lettering I want to learn