View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 03:22 AM
Gold

Default Re: Gene's contest submission

I've had time to work on my project some today. I started by cleaning the design a little. What I did was I printed a very, very faint copy of my original design. It was very faint and could barely see it but there was enough there that I could make out all the outlines. By printing it out like this I was able to then draw over it with a pencil and correct any parts I felt needed correction. Because the print is so faint only the pencil drawing over it shows.

I then placed a sheet of tracing paper over that drawing and traced only what I think will be the main cuts for my design. If I have success transfering this image then that is all the drawing I will need for these 2 elements of my design. All the rest of the details (mainly shading cuts) can be done right on the metal. I'm saving all my
drawings to use for reference when cutting the detail work, shading etc. Unless I have to redo something, that should be the end of the drawing for a while.

Focusing now on the metal for a while, my ultimate goal is to do this in sterling silver and had thought of practicing the design on a mild steel plate. But now my thinking is that if I do this on mild steel plate, it will be
a flat plate that I will be practicing on and I won't be getting the feel of cutting on the the domed silver buckle. Soooooo, I've decided to make a buckle out of nickel silver and let that be my practice plate. I'll do a completed buckle just like I would in sterling. If it works out well, then I will go onto my next project or submission and come back to do a sterling buckle if time permits after my next submission. If the nickel one does not turn out then I will proceed with the sterling. I've heard some people say that nickel can pose problems. We'll soon see.

I know this is not a tutorial on silversmithing, but thought I would touch on some points of how I will make the buckle and get it ready to engrave on. Hopefully some will find this interesting.
This is the sheet of 14 guage nickel. Not sure if nickel sheet can be purchased in any thicker guage (I just checked this weekend and it is available in 10 and 12 guage). This stuff is pretty stout and is a good weight for a buckle of this size.

I made a paper cutout of the size and shape I wanted and traced around it in preparation for cutting. Dimensions are, 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 inches at the widest points.

This is the buckle blank just cut. I used a large pair of metal shears to make the cut. I get straighter lines this way on this heavy stuff than if I had used a saw. Shear marks on the back side will be filed and polished away eventually. Also at this time I used my maker's stamp on the back side.

I've decided to sand the front surface smooth (down to 1500 grit) and do the border cuts before I dome the metal. I think that it will be easier for me to make those long straight cuts on a piece of flat stock and the soft wooden block that I use for doming shouldn't hurt the cuts later. The border cuts will be used later as part of the rope pattern as seen on my drawing.

This is a view of the back side just after having been cut from the blank. Here I'm just checking the placement of the buckle/belt hinge to be soldered at a later step. Sorry about the slight blur in the photo.

Now I begin doming the blank. I use this trusted wood block and wooden mallet I've had for years to do a lot of my doming on. Each side of my block has a different size depression to accomodate different sized pieces. I have an old wooden stump and a big block of plumber's lead that I use at times also for the same purposes. Many times these old wood or lead forms work best to shape silver on if used with wooden or rawhide mallets and are not so apt to work harden your metal blanks as opposed to using dapping dies and metal forming stakes, IMHO. I don't have much experience with nickel silver but I think it probably work hardens quicker than sterling. I think that the concern over work hardening is only relevent to engraving in this case though.

This is a view of the buckle blank showing the dome established and pretty much done as far as shaping goes. I may have to tap a little more here and there to get a smooth front, but I'm thinking it looks pretty close. A close look at the border cuts on the front side seems to show that the doming process had no effect
on them.

I still have to solder on the hinge and pin, clean and polish the back then sand and clean the front side well in preparation for design transfer to begin engraving the design.

Back soon, in the meantime, crits or comments, questions or any advice is encouraged. Thanks, Gene