View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Gold

Default Gene's contest submission

(If you would like to comment on this submission, you may do so by posting a reply in this thread. Thanks! Kaitlin)

Ok folks, it's gotta start somewhere. Don't know if we have all the rules figured out yet, so right or wrong here I go.

This is my first submission for the latest contest put forth by Steve Lindsay. Thanks a bunch Steve for the opprotunity you provide and for your generosity.

Sitting out on the porch this morning with my coffee and a nice cigar, I started some sketches of some ideas I've had of designing a buckle. My plan at this point is to make this in sterling silver. Haven't thought about dimensions yet.

This is a preliminary sketch (the one that my pencil is pointing at) of my first submission. I will next work on refining this sketch and adding some more detail, but this is my start (just an idea on paper at this point). There are some areas I'm not sure how I want to treat at this point. For instance, will my design elements be separated by lines or do I want to make each of the 3 main elements a separate raised surface by soldering 3 panels onto a substructure, hmmmmmm? Will the center diagonal panel include another engraved design or will I attempt some lettering???? There are a lot of little details to this project I haven't worked on yet but must be dealt with before I start on the silver piece. Also at this point, I am thinking of transfering my final design for this onto a steel practice plate and working out any problems that might arise engraving and designwise before doing this on silver. If I were more experienced and more confident of my skills, this step would be unneccessary.

That's it at this point, won't get much more done this weekend I don't think, gotta celebrate the 4th.

Wishing everyone a great 4th of July,
God bless America,
Gene