View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 12:51 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Katherine's Contest Submission (Scrimshaw woo hoo!)

Today's progress:

After some deliberation I decided to add a border. There are two reasons for this, the second of which is the more important one. For one thing, as an element of design, I kinda like it, and I've put some sort of border/outline on all my scrims so far (hmm, I think...not the elk tooth though). But the more important reason was that I didn't want my image to look bad if I took it all the way to the edge. I rounded the edges on this micarta, so working all the way to the edge without skittering off is difficult. So, border it is!

Hmmm, background. I looked at a lot of pics I'd taken, decided I wanted the original river scene to be more of a lake (well okay it could be a very wide river, no matter). I just wanted to move the original tree-line upward so as not to interfere with the bears. I hope the viewpoint comes out properly on this. I imagine this tree the bears are in is atop a hill overlooking a valley with a lake (river?) and trees, and mountains in the background. Our viewpoint is somewhat high, we're level with the bears looking down across the valley. They may not be very high up but we don't see the base of the tree (though there will be some hillside and grass showing). This is drawn on with soft graphite, I then dotted over it with the etching needle.

Sky with a happy cloud (bonus points if you know who I'm quoting! :painting: The friendly trees will come later...):

Added the lake. This may go darker or have more detail as it progresses, I'm not really sure yet. I don't have one photo that has all this stuff in it so I'm kinda winging it as I go.