View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Gold

Default Brian H. contest submission Engraved Nude folder

If you would like to comment on this submission, you may do so by posting a reply in this thread. Thanks! Kaitlin

I am working on a job now that I think will lend itself well to a tutorial. It is a simple interframe folder, no switches, slide pockets, just a straight forward Kious model 6. The design request was for a nude. That also simplifies things being all that is needed is a single subject posed. So first thing lets look at the knife..... [IMG][/IMG]

On this style, when doing a portrait I like them best viewed verticle, also gold was requested and we need to decide how we are going to make this design flow and have some elegance, and what are we going to do for background behind the girl? So here is how I handled that, I opted for a gold ribbon which will lead your eye to view the rest of the knife not just the upper portion and gives some movement to the design.
[IMG][/IMG]

Ok design was sent off to the customer, he asked for some exposure so I will make the adjustment, I will redraw on the working sketch which is just the outlines which will be transfered onto the knife.

Ok, first thing we need to do is mark our borders. I use dividers for this with replacable tips. I use one carbide tip the other is brass, the brass is used so no scratches are made on the spine of the knife while marking borders. I mark the borders on both sides of the knife while I have the dividers set at the specific width. Next we support and protect the knife. The bottom side is covered with tape. I make a thermoloc cradle for even support and then hot glue that to a wood block, also I seal all the openings with hot glue to avoid chips or grit getting in anywhere. Also the blade is taped and the delicate tip is supported with a block of leather. Out of time, more to come soon.
[IMG][/IMG]