Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellsworth
and dont forget -
Morgan silver dollars
Wheat pennies
The newer nickels
Misc gold pieces

how about something in spring steel that conforms to all sizes
If you want to be able to hold a wide range of sizes in one tool a really small lathe chuck like the 2" mini chuck shown here would work pretty well. An adapter to be able to clamp it in the ball vise, some protective caps on the chuck jaws and some method of getting the right clearance above the jaws for each coin thickness, (I remember seeing some spacers for larger lathes which could be made in different thicknesses or with a screw adjustment for different coin thicknesses). I think this little devil costs $50 or so, although after gold plating and all of the add-on parts... made from unobtainium, (a very rare metal indeed), I'm sure a guy could get the price up to a suitably stratospheric number. :D

Over-engineering is the name of the game. Once you've made the most elaborate, Rube Goldberg type device possible... in your mind...you can then start knocking off all of the stuff that isn't needed or is too expensive. At least you've covered all of the bases that you can think of and decided what really matters and what doesn't.

Speaking of Rube Goldberg, I never thought that he really existed. Turns out he did, very interesting: http://www.rubegoldberg.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 480.2916.jpg (27.8 KB, 184 views)