View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Gold

Default Re: The Coin Collet! Interested?

Wouldn't it be cool if humans could trade skills? I'd happily swap some machinist skills for engraving. You could post in on eBay. "Trade: 40% of my skill in oil painting, for 35% of a certified master auto mechanic skill set." Then you could stick your fingertips into a box which would suck away your skill and send it over the internet to the other guy.

Machinist-types are infamous for over-engineered and expensive solutions, like Dilbert. My next attempt to stay within this stereotype is a set of precision steel blocks which will fit into a typical engraving block, like a magnablock. It'll have two halves, with dowel pins for alignment. Picture a sandwich of two steel blocks, shaped rectangular or square, maybe 3" tall. On the top, I plan to bore out a nickel recess, which will have further boring to clear the reverse of the coin, so it will grip only the rim. Two socket-head cap screws will secure it together, then the whole thing gets dropped between the jaws of the engraving vise.

Here's a 5 minute 3D model (Rhino 3d software) of the concept with no screws, dowels, or dimensional accuracy, just enough to get the concept:

Thoughts? Please don't tell me I'm overengineering this. That makes me sad.