Thread: thoughts
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Steel

Default Re: thoughts

Wrapping up my thoughts

By isolating it to a very specific time frame & small culture + utilizing a specific it, here are my thoughts.

I. Although basically a "tribal" culture & very independent, did develop an "art identity" in the form of engraving on their "all metal" pistols.
II. The "MOTIFS" used seem to reflect their adaptation of the surrounding cultures.
A. The thistle & "knots", although often attributed to the Irish, seem also to be a basic Viking theme. ???
B. The other reoccurring, themes ??? IMHO from the English & French. ( NOTE - The one theme, I can not find in other engraving, I have seen, is the "STAR" ???

III. The engravers
A. These individuals seem to fall into 4 categories
1. The owners themselves
2. Gun makers who were not engravers, but put "engraving" on the guns because the buyer wanted it (lower income customers)
3. Gun makers who had engraving skills, but often were not "true" engravers (in the "ART") ("middle" income")
4. True Engravers, who were commissioned to do the work ( wealthy clientèle)

IV. The END of this art form. Here we can be fairly certain of the time frame
The major decline began in 1746, with the "Disarming Act" Although some of the "Sottish" gun makers still were producing their "art" for officers of the "Scottish Regiments",there were few. In 1782, with the repeal of the ACT, there was a "revival of interest in the "Highland" dress, but few "true" Highland pistols were made. In 1812, the last of the "GREAT" makers died, so did the "ART"

TODAY The "HIGHLAND MYTH" Most of what we see today as being "Highland" is a ROMANTICIZED idea that is ENGLISH & dates from King George, with the main "concepts coming from the time of Victoia,

So were does that leave the engraver of today ????
I. He/She can do the painstaking research & produce an AUTHENTIC HIGHLAND work
II. He/She can sucome to the MYTH & produce a "ROMANTICIZED" version

Puffer