Thread: thoughts
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Platinum

Default Re: thoughts

you know i was thinking about this last night and i realized something here .
do not many of the Asian countries still do this heavy type of relief work ?
I seem to recall while in the army seeing a lot of items done this way both in silver and such for sale by street merchants .
The Philippines and Korea come to mind .
I do remember the Buddhist temple where my wife and I were married had some very heavy open type works in a lot of different metals as well as wood with large amounts of inlay work and seen depictions
I seem to recall this work quite common there among artisans.
Did these peoples not go through something that Europeans did ?

I think maybe your on the right track in what you say puffer but I also wonder this .
During the times of this type of work . What was happening ?
Spain , France , England in fact most of Europe was in some stage of war .
History has showed us that during these time technologies often advance but the arts lose ground .
In times of relative peace this turns the opposite direction.
Could we not be sing the effects of this as these weapons makers turn to making more military works over highly decorated pieces ?.
Later we have the French revolution during which a lot of anything concerning autocracy or items showing a person status as more wealthy then another was destroyed as I understand it even frowned upon being produced .
Did not Russia go through much the same change during the communist revolution ?

Surly when the revival of the arts did happen , as it always does , would it not come back changed , losing something from the past but creating a different interpretation of the mind set at the time ?
now these are later reproductions and castings but . from what i understand especially during the late 17th century and well through to the French revolution, even the smallest items like snuff boxes would have been highly relief engraved . so doesnt this negate the size issue ?
thoughts ?

take a look at this rare 19th century Napoleon III jewelry cascet with four thick beveled sides set in a decorated gilt frame. On top there is a large micromosaic richly decorated with white daisies on a turquoise ground. The item is originated in France and dated second half of the 19th century. The box is in excellent condition with no tesserae missing and the interior tufted satin is original. Micromosaic : Length: 10cm Width: 10cm Height: of the box: 9cm
we may lose this link so look fast .
but if you look at the bottom and then the overall presentation its maybe a transition peice of old styles and the biging of the newwer scroll work we see so often today
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/chateau/item/080