View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Platinum

Default Re: New contest - borders

I figure I better get my entry in early, while the bar is still nice and low.

This border is a nice little bit of sparkle.

I may have to redo this examplar - I was in a bit of a hurry once I finally got a little bench time. Darn 'real life' keeps intruding (but since it pays for my tools...)

Basically it's just a series of the little flowers I figured out you could make from a set of oversized bulino cuts.

I used a thin flat to cut the border lines but I think it would look better if I'd used a V.

Ok, on to how it's done so you can do it and see how it looks done right!

Step 1 - scribe your lines. After you find your center distance and scribe the center line use the dividers to mark the center line in 1/2 total border width increments.

Step 2 - Starting with the first mark out from one edge bead punch every other mark. If you happen to have another small punch that you think would look good as a flower center you could use that. I have some bead punches.

Step 3 - Start cutting the 'petals'. For each petal cut just take a wide graver, start right outside your center and drive it down in and back out. I start with the 'square' petals - the ones that go along the center line and perpendicular to it. When doing the border I found it was fastest to do all of one cut at a time - go along cutting all of the 'up' cuts, spin the vise and go back doing all the 'downs', etc.

As you can also see on this image, your left / right cuts go only to the mark half way between the centers.

Step 4 - Specifically showing how the flowers touch at the tips.

Step 5 - Now start your diagonal cuts. With the initial 'straight' cuts done it's easy to align the diagonals - you just cut right between the other two.

Step 6 - Getting more flowery. As you put the last four cuts in it all of a sudden starts to look like a flower, doesn't it?

Step 7 - Finished!

All of the step-by-step shots were taken though my scope. This shot of the whole plate gives you a better idea of the actual size. As is often the case, expected viewing distance is your friend. Even as rough as the actual cuts are, it looks pretty good to the naked eye.

But as I mentioned earlier, I should have cut the sides with a V - the flat just doesn't have any sparkle. I may be back with a better finished version for you to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Step1.jpg (50.1 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg Step2.jpg (73.7 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Step3.jpg (60.6 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg Step4.jpg (60.9 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Step5.jpg (83.0 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg Step6.jpg (70.3 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Step7.jpg (81.8 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg plate.jpg (54.5 KB, 839 views)

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album