Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Hello

Kevin,
I am going to be adamant here. You want to engrave muzzleloaders. The book I recommended is SPECIFICALLY oriented toward that using hammer and chisel, and that's how you want to start. It teaches you what you need, how to use it, how to sharpen them and how to draw and develop your designs. And it is in simple, understandable verbage. Get it before you do anything else. Otherwise, you will flounce around and waste time heading down the wrong track.

When I was in the service, base camps had craft and machine shops that the troops could use and I'm sure the most of the stuff you need to get started is available on base. A small ball pein hammer will get you going. Your gravers can be made by fitting a metal 3/8" rod fitted with a set screw. Your bits can be 1/8" HSS lathe bits. The book will tell you how to grind the angles needed without a lot of expensive doodads. You can get those when you are deployed back home. Soldiers have always been able to find field expedient methods to accomplish their missions.

BUY THE BOOK.......everything else will come later.

Dave