View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Copper

Default Hello From Montana

Hi All,

I thought it was time to stop lurking and introduce myself. I also want to thank everyone for all the tips and tricks, as well as the inspiration I've garnered here over the years. This is a wonderful resource, thanks to everyones participation.

My name is Jeff Harkins and I've been making knives for about 22 years, 20 as a full-time maker. I live in southwest Montana in the Bitterroot valley. It's supposed to be the banana belt but it's 2 degrees right now... guess it could be colder.

I started engraving in the early 90's but could never get the hang of scrolls so I kinda went off in other directions as far as designs go. Ron Smith's books have helped a lot, as well as this forum, in the past couple years, but I'm still in search of my own style. It's starting to look like tribal art with the golden ratio thrown in. A life long endeavor I'm sure.

I'm just about to post my practice plate in the "lets cut one together Section". I look forward to any tips or criticism that might come my way, all is appreciated.

Thanks again,
Jeff