Thread: Hello everyone
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Copper

Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia but looking for a place in the mountains
Default Hello everyone

Hi folks, I am new to the forum and to engraving. I was exposed to engraving at a very early age. My father designed and manufactured Roto-gravure printing presses and had a roll division. He employed a number of engravers. Most of them were from Germany. They emigrated to Canada and received special citizenship. That allowed them to emigrate to the US without having to deal with quotas and wait lists. I would go to work with him on Saturdays and watch the engravers for hours. The oportunity was there to learn from the best when I was a child. In later years I studied engineering, then law. I love working with my hands and do so at every oportunity. I have built a number of rifles, doing all of the metal work including finishing and make the stocks from blanks. I love to release the wonderful things that are hiding inside pieces of wood and metal. I have a number of other interests. Most notably Astronomy, music, mathematics and anthropology (primatology). I sure wish sleep wasn't necessary. I tried to wean myself off of it but I just can't beat the addiction. I'm trapped in Virginia beach because my wife and children like it. I live 6 miles from the ocean...a straight 55mph shot. But, I have not seen the ocean in close to 10 years. I love the mountains. I'm trying to locate about 20 acres bordering one of the national forests. My oldest daughter graduated from Virginia Tech with honors in Mechanical Engineering. She speaks fluent german and now works for Siemans. My younger girls is 19 and in her second year of college. So, there is nothing holding me here any longer. So, I am on the hunt for a piece of land.
I have been thumbing through this forum every day and find myself in utter awe. I pray that with a ton of practice i can be one tenth as good as you folks. I feel priviledged to be able to join your forum. Thanks so much for having me. With my best regards to all of you, Brad Haskin, Virginia Beach, Virginia