View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 10:31 AM
Copper

Default No skills to speak of.

New member from Madison, WI. I'm a collector of 1920s vintage Gruen watches, and my favorite models are those with ornately engraved cases. I joined for a couple of reasons.

One is that I would like to learn some basic hand engraving skills. Not really to engrave anything from scratch (at least not at this point), but to learn how to "freshen up" old engravings that have become blurred and indistinct over the last 80-90 years. I've passed up a lot of otherwise nice watches because the engravings were too worn for my taste. But before I go asking for tips, I'll try to read around on my own to see if there are already suggestions for newbies looking to get their feet wet like myself.

And the other reason is to perhaps get a referral or two. I've got one particular watch that I would like the engravings detailed on, and it's far to nice, rare, and expensive for me to use as a learning project. I'd like to find somebody who could do this for me. I can already see by looking around the gallery that the engravings on my watches are fairly rudimentary compared to what a lot of you do. I assume that the general hand engraving forum would be a good place to post this inquiry along with pictures of the particular watch case I'd like to get worked on?