View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Steel

Default Re: Nickel Engraving

I would love to be able to meet and talk with you guys. I feel like I am trying to catch up on 15 years worth of tech and info. When I quit all I had was James Meeks book. Now it's like the national archives have been opened up for me.

Steve, If you want to put nickels in the die the pressing will flatten the reverse. The forcer of the press is usually just smooth flat tool steel. If the die is deeper than the original coin it will come out thinner as the metal is pushed to fill the die. There is some fluid dynamics of moving metal to fill dies. I was thinking of an obverse and reverse dies dowel pinned together with drill rod. Put your nickel in and get both sides done at the same time. A newer nickel is .074" thick so you should be able to cut each side to around .018"-.020" and have plenty of metal left over to fill out the dies completely. There will also be a little flashing of metal squirted out between the two dies and that's where the trim tooling comes in. A nickel is ~.836" and we should have tooling close to that. It would be unique. I did 127 parts in 6 minutes on the auto drop hammer to test out the new belt I installed. The cost of stamp and trim would probably be very little with no finsihing involved using your dies. Another thing there needs to be a certail amount of draft angle in order for the die to release the part. Around 10* is good.

I think that we have a web page and I'll look. We have 2" O1, 2 1/2" O1 and A2, 3" O1 and A2...maybe some S7 and 4" O1 and A2.

Ha, picking my brain. I think that there are four cells left and you can have one of them