View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Nickel Engraving

Time: All depends on the artist and the tools and the complexity of the design how fast you are, how many things you do right and not get into some design bind which turns into a nightmare. Some guys whip out coins in an hour, some you can mess with for days. It depends where you draw the line on time spent.

$: depends on the quality of the coin, date full horn etc. Design is a major factor. It's a crap shoot. You can find yourself cutting on speculation or commission. There are images that everyone collects re hobos. Other esoteric things like I do sometimes are in favor, sometimes not. I guess the real expert here is Bill, he has been doing it for a lot longer than I have. I think his last quote was something like 50 to couple of thousand.

If you are good, the buyers will find you. The Hobo Nickel Society does a bit of promotion all free. They have auctions set up. It's quite a system of events.

Many of the buyers hang out on ebay do a search for hobo nickels
to learn about the art form and what is relevant go to www.hobonickels.org
find bill zach on this forum and pick his brain - there isnt anything he doesnt know about this.

Other coins are an option too.

Hope that helps