View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Steel

Thumbs up Re: Contest #2 giveaway for a Classic AirGraver handpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Allred View Post
Steve,
The giveaway idea is a great idea!!!! ,
I think a "newby" contest might be an idea as well, more for those who might own tools other than the Lindsay Airgraver or one of your older model airgravers or even an equipmentless person yearning to give it a try to win a new palm control. For instance newby might be someone that has yet to even engrave onto something other than a practice plate or even someone without engraving tools, perhaps a "Engraving Layout" contest as even a non engraver interested in engraving might practically overnight have the a helluva good start on equipment.
Just a thought. Of coarse the drawing would have to be something that could be accomplished by the "average-Intermediate" engraver. Then the winner would engrave the layout, Maybe I could get my Knifemaking father Elvan Allred to build a knife to design the engraving for and the winner could engrave it once they buy the other needed equipment Vice ect. and Keep or sell it. (Small straight knife, full metal or large bolster most likely)

What do you think?
This would be a brilliant idea for the likes of me and many others.
Most the other accomplished engravers could have most the competitions in the bag compared to the likes of my self who would have absolutely no chance against them but compare a picture of mine with there's?

You could do it on a learning base,who learns the most in a certain amount of time and a questionnaire PMed to the participants to fill out.

I still do not know a lot of the names for half the tools or any of the techniques.

I think you should aim some of the competitions towards newbies as newbies will tend to have nearly no tools or just basic tools or money to buy tools but not sure if they want to get into it or not or no money and would love to get into it and the average engraver probably already has your top hand engraver and earns money from engraving.

The last thing you want is,a winner who uses the tool once and never uses it again,so may be a,you have to show your work agreement should be put into place?
ATB
Ricky